|Created by Tattooed Tea Lady // Image is mine|
I’ve seen this tag on a few blogs and since I’m far too ill (yes again, my immune system sucks when it comes to coughs and colds) to structure a post myself I thought I’d do this as it seems pretty interested, and I know how much you all love to hear me go on about myself, ha. Sorry, my sense of humour today is dreadful.
It was started by the lovely Sophia over at Tattooed Tea Lady and you can read her entry for the tag here. I enjoy blogging about beauty but I’m unsure if i’d fall into the group of Beauty Bloggers since I blog about other stuff too. Regardless, I’m doing the tag and I hope some of my followers do the tag too because I’d love to read their answers (I’m a nosey bugger!) Anyway, here are my answers
Why did you start blogging and how long have you been blogging for?
This is now my third blogspot blog (my previous two were Seventy Seven Broadway and High Tops & Heels, however since about the age of sixteen i’ve had various (private) Livejournal accounts and since twenty two (eek 3 years!) I’ve had a Tumblr.
I can’t remember the reasons I started my previous blogs for perhaps just to have a little bit of the Internet that was mine, but my reason this time around was to use it as a creative outlet, to have somewhere where I could just be “Amy” instead of “Mummy.” I have really enjoyed keeping my blog, it’s been great at keeping my sanity during some of the toughest times in my life.
Whose blog did you fall in love with first?
I can’t remember the blogs I used to read last time around and I can’t remember my password to have a look at them. For years the only blog I read was Claire’s blog French for Cupcake. Her photos, fashion and baking have made me an avid reader for years (and I get to hopefully meet her later on this year!) I also love Pretty Much Penniless by the lovely Ellie, another blog I have continued to read over the years.
What was the first blogosphere hyped about product you bought and was it worth the hype?
I think ever? It was probably the Urban Decay Alice in Wonderland pallet! It was the first ever Urban Decay thing I bought and I remember everyone on their blogs talking about it back then. This time around it’s the Rimmel Apocalips, I caved in and bought two, Stella and Celestial.
What are your favourite five things about blogging and being a beauty blogger?
Five? This is going to be hard!
- Finding new beauty products to try by reading other beauty blogs!
- Sharing what I think about products and writing reviews, I love having my readers say I’ve persuaded them to try something or that it looks good on me.
- Other beauty bloggers & the Sunday and Wednesday Twitter #bbloggers chats! I’m also really looking forward to going to the Nottingham Blogger Meet in April and meeting some lovely & like minded girls!
- I love that I can have discussions about products on twitter too as the blogging community has expanded onto there. I find it a much easier means of communicating and promoting compared to blogspot (especially as there are no notification of replies on blogspot).
- Finally, I love that I can ask for recommendations and there is always someone out there who knows of something that could help you! So important as I have such sensitive skin!
What have you learnt from being a beauty blogger?
I have learnt that just because something works/looks good for one blogger doesn’t mean that it’ll necessarily do the same for you!
Have you changed anything since being a beauty blogger?
I’ve added more products to my skin care and beauty routine! I now cleanse and use face masks once a week, hair masks once a week and I now experiment with nail & lip colour during the days not just for nights out.
What advice would you give to a beauty blogger just starting out?
Don’t follow the pack! My favourite reviews and blog posts are the original ones! I know I’m not a hugely established blogger first and I’m still on the hunt for my own “niche” but make an effort to read other blogs and talk to people! Tell them if you have enjoyed reading something and it’s inspired you to do your own post.
Name your top five brands!
MAC, I have always been a lover of MAC and use it mainly for lip colours and concealer/powder. Benefit is up there too, I swear by Erase Paste! I love Soap & Glory, but this is a very recent love.. I just can’t get enough of their show creams/scrubs. Lush, nothing will ever beat their bubble bars/bombs in my eyes. Nivea, I use their cream face wash and wipes which are amazing for my sensitive skin and so cheap!
Recommend your top five favourite beauty products!
- As I mentioned before, Benefit Erase Paste. I’m a single mother who’s daughter due to sharing my room still wakes a few times a night meaning I NEVER go into a deep sleep (the Sleep Cycle confirms this). This causes constant black circles under my eyes. Erase Paste is the first product that is thick enough and the right shade to stop me looking like a zombie, it there for has my loyalty.
- Any MAC lipsticks. I swear by these. They have the most amazing pigmentation and don’t dry my lips out.
- Sally Hansen Invisible Lip Liner. I was desperate for the Lipstick Queen version but at the time I just couldn’t justify the price tag. This cheaper alternative works just as great with half the price tag. It’s amazing at stopping the feathering the ultimately comes with a heavy night of drinking.
- Soap & Glory’s Smoothie Star. Best smelling all over body moisturiser ever and the bottle seems to last for ever! I moisturise every day and this has been going since new year with still 1/3 left! This is the product that really won me over to Soap & Glory.
- Models Own nail varnishes. With constantly picking up a child, changing nappies, dressing and undressing I found most varnishes last a day.. apart from Models Own. I find I can get a few days wear especially if I use a glittery top coat! Great selection of colours too.
Tag other beauty bloggers to do this tag!
Anyone who wants to do this. I love tags as I think they’re a great insight into the person who runs the blog and this one will be especially good for finding new products to try!